- EU & UK Sustainability regulation
- EU & UK Competition law
- EU & UK Regulation of digital markets
- Solicitor of England & Wales
- Rechtsanwalt, Berlin Bar, Germany
- Visiting professorial/lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA; the International School of Management, Berlin, Germany; and the European Law Academy, Trier, Germany
- Fluent in English, German and French. Knowledge of Spanish and Dutch
- Keystone Law, London
- DAC Beachcroft, Brussels & London
- Latham & Watkins, Brussels
- European Commission – Competition
- German American Chamber of Commerce, New York
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris
- Law I & II, University of Berlin
- EU business law, Panthéon-Assas University, Paris, France (distinction)
- PhD in EU/competition law, Lausanne University, Switzerland (Summa cum Laude)
- Kaplan Law School, London (qualified solicitor)
Dr. Alexandra von Westernhagen
(*member of the Law Society and registered with the Berlin Bar)
Qualified as a lawyer in Germany as well England & Wales, Alexandra is an internationally recognised EU Competition & Regulatory law expert with more than 20 years’ experience gained in top tier firms, international organisations and academia. Her vast expertise in EU Competition & Regulatory law is commercial and practicable and at the same time thorough and balanced. She is passionate about helping businesses of whatever size to succeed the transition to a sustainable, digital world in a highly regulated EU and UK legal environment.
Alexandra regularly advises on the compliance of commercial agreements with EU and UK competition rules and has, starting with her PhD in the Microsoft case in 2002, developed special expertise in dominance issues and digital market regulation.
In the last couple of years, Alexandra’s passion field has been the implementation of the Social Development Goals (SDGs) in the EU/UK, such as the Green Deal and related developments.
In the wake of Brexit, Alexandra has been working pro bono on the official recognition by the EU institutions that EU citizenship is a real citizenship, that can thus not be taken away without an explicit legal provision and the implementation of a fair and explicit hearing procedure, based on the principle of proportionality.
Alexandra holds diverse prestigious visiting professorial/lecturer roles, including at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA (where she teaches EU and US antitrust law in the digital age); and the European Law Academy, Trier, Luxembourg. She is also co-chair of the Sustainability Expert Group of the British Chamber of Commerce in Germany (BCCG).
Alexandra also regularly speaks, publishes and comments about EU/UK Competition & Regulatory law, for example at ERA’s Annual Conference on European Competition Law, in The Times and in the Compliance Week.
She has published two books on EU and competition law, one of which won a book prize from one of the largest publishers for German-speaking legal publications.
Alexandra serves her clients commuting between Brussels, London and Berlin.
Contact Alexandra von Westernhagen:
Why choose for a Liber.ius partner?
Our quality lies in our people. The Liber.ius team of lawyers brings together a diverse group of bright legal minds all with hands-on experience and high standards of excellence gathered at the largest law firms and corporate legal departments in the country and the world. They are focussed on delivering top notch services and developing valuable long-term client relationship
Discover the liber.ius advantage here.